Mon, 11 December 2017
This week, it's part 1 of my discussion with Brian Salvatore about musical blindspots with Brian listening to Living Colour while I dig into early solo Beatles records.
- Brian listened to Vivid, Jay listened to John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
- Adventures in Skype
- Jay: Wasn't familiar with much of this album
- Very raw, exposed album for Lennon
- Lennon didn't release many albums before he died
- Yoko plays "the wind"
- Embarrassment of riches after Beatles broke up
- The Living Colour/In Living Color conundrum
- Brian: Not a misplaced note on this album
- Impressed with the political content
- Jay: Saw videos on MTV and taped a concert off the radio back in '88
- Vivid was out for over a year before "Cult of Personality" hit big
- Living Colour confounded expectations
- Mick Jagger helped get them a record deal
- Next: Jay listens to McCartney's Ram and Brian checks out LC's Time's Up
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian.