Tue, 6 September 2016
Part 1 of my conversation with guest Phil Stacey as we discuss fantasy sports.
- Fantasy sports is big business
- Rooting against your favorite team
- Phil: Got into fantasy baseball in early '90s
- Jay: Started a league in '91 with work friends
- Paid a service to compile stats reports
- So much more now to distract you from draft prep
- Started with AL-only league
- Early fantasy football league started decades earlier
- Jack Kerouac created his own fantasy baseball league with fictional players and teams
- Strat-O-Matic started in early '60s
- Cards and dice game, similar to D&D
- The joys of Mattel Intellivision
- Sports betting is popular
- Takes enjoyment out of the game
- The house always wins
- The fun of the fantasy draft
- Auction leagues require more involvement, longer draft
- To be continued
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blog Clicky Clicky. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian.