Tue, 20 April 2021
Part 1 of my conversation with guest Phil Stacey as we discuss the music of 1984.
- Recorded via Zoom
- Phil was 14 going on 15, Jay was 16 going on 17 in '84
- Phil: Watched a lot of MTV
- "College rock" was emerging
- Music was drenched in synths
- Jay: Saw my first concerts
- Hair metal was making a splash
- Thrash metal was new and exciting
- Billy Squier's tough year
- Phil's non-top 5 albums: Bowie, Kinks, Deep Purple, Dio, Van Halen, Ratt, Springsteen, Los Lobos, Sade, Meat Puppets, Husker Du, Minutemen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Replacements, R.E.M., Run DMC
- Phil loves him some Ratt
- Jay's non-top 5s: Rush, Iron Maiden, The Cars, INXS
- Saw INXS a few years later at Radio City Music Hall
- To be continued
Completely Conspicuous is available through Apple Podcasts. Subscribe and write a review!
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian.