Tue, 11 March 2014
Part 1 of my conversation with guest Matt Phillion as we discuss whether the world is getting dumber. I've also got music from Cloud Nothings, Eagulls and The So So Glos.
- There are studies that claim humans are getting dumber
- Our IQs are supposedly dropping
- We rely on smartphones for a lot of information
- We're cramming so much info in our heads
- Smart TV: True Detective did it right
- Disney Channel sitcoms hark back to hacky TV crap of the '70s
- Movie industry favors bigger, louder, dumber
- Sometimes it's good to watch dumb stuff
- Anonymous online comments are a prime source for idiocy
- Wasting time online is so easy
- People are so self-involved
- Reality TV is a haven for dummies
- People will do anything to get on TV
- The Onion keeps fooling people
- Beauty pageants
- Our ability to self-incriminate
Cloud Nothings - I'm Not Part of Me
Eagulls - Possessed
The So So Glos - Lost Weekend
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The Cloud Nothings song is on the album Here and Nowhere Else on Carpark Records. The Eagulls song is on the band's self-titled album on Partisan Records. The So So Glos song is on the album Blowout on Votiv Records. Download all three songs for free at NPR.org.
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blog Clicky Clicky. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian.
Direct download: CompCon_319_031114.mp3
Category:Completely Conspicuous -- posted at: 9:06pm EDT