Tue, 5 October 2021
Part 1 of my conversation with guest Phil Stacey about our favorite music of 1987.
- Recorded in the backyard of CompCon HQ
- In '87, Phil was 17 going on 18, Jay was 19 going on 20
- The Bangles had the #1 single of the year with "Walk Like An Egyptian"
- Another big year for movie soundtracks
- A lot of female pop artists hit big
- Jay: Concerts I saw included Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Motley Crue, Jon Butcher Axis and U2
- Phil: Saw INXS, U2 twice, Sting, Smithereens
- Bruce Willis released an album
- Starship churns out the crap
- Many bands changed their sound in the '80s to stay "relevant"
- Phil's non-top 5 albums: INXS, Hoodoo Gurus, the Smiths, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr., Jane's Addiction, Midnight Oil, 10,000 Maniacs, George Harrison, Sinead O'Connor, Bowie, The Tragically Hip
- The meteoric rise and quick decline of INXS
- That time Husker Du went on the Joan Rivers Show
- To be continued
Completely Conspicuous is available through Apple Podcasts. Subscribe and write a review!
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian.