Tue, 27 February 2018
Part 2 of my conversation with guest Brian Salvatore as we discuss musical blindspots: I dig into Paul McCartney's RAM and Brian checks out Living Colour's Time's Up.
- Brian: Glover's vocals are too showy on Reid's songs
- Second half of album is more varied
- Back in the days of super-long albums
- Living Colour would switch styles in the middle of songs
- Bands would go platinum with no radio play
- Taping music off the radio
- RAM was credited to Paul and Linda
- Whimsy with a dark undercurrent
- Homemade-sounding album recorded in an NYC studio
- Critics hated it when it came out
- Macca rarely plays these songs live
- Next up: Living Colour's Stain and George Harrison's Brainwashed
- George's problematic solo career
- Here's to long rock docs
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blog Clicky Clicky. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian.