Tue, 10 June 2014
Part 3 of my conversation with guest Brian Salvatore as we look back at the music of 1986. I've also got music from Los Campesinos!, The Fresh & Onlys and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart.
- Recorded via Skype
- Check out Brian's comics podcast The Hour Cosmic
- Brian's #3
- Feelies' second album was very influential
- Jay's #3
- R.E.M. debuts heavier guitar sound
- Band kept going too long
- Brian's #2
- They Might Be Giants got off to great start
- Lots of NJ love
- Jay's #2
- Husker Du's amazing stretch
- '80s production techniques hurt some great albums
- Grant Hart dominated Candy Apple Grey
- Brian's #1
- Camper Van Beethoven released two albums in '86
- Jay's #1
- '86 was the year of thrash
- Metallica at their best
- Drawbacks to sound fidelity with MP3, but convenience is worth it
- Hair metal also thrived in '86
- Next up: 1989
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
Los Campesinos! - Little Mouth
The Fresh & Onlys - Animal of One
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Simple and Sure
The Los Campesinos! song is on the soundtrack to the movie Benny and Jolene. Download the song for free from Stereogum.
The Fresh & Onlys song is on the album House of Spirits on Mexican Summer Records. Download the song for free from KEXP.
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart song is on the album Days of Abandon on Yebo. Download the song for free from KEXP.