Tue, 26 November 2013
Part 1 of my conversation with guest Brian Salvatore as we look back at the music of 1980. I've also got music from Calories, Shearwater and Mark Kozelek.
- Recorded via Skype
- Brian: 1980 was a much better year for music than our last choice, '87
- Jay: Was living in Toronto in '80
- Brian: Was -2 years old, but really dig the music of 1980
- Jay: New wave and post-punk really came into their own: B-52s, Talking Heads, U2, Pretenders
- Brian: Arena rock bands like Queen and Rush took different paths
- New sounds on the radio
- Brian: Guitar rock was strong with VH, Ozzy, Sabbath, AC/DC
- Poor Bob Daisley
- New Wave of British Heavy Metal: Maiden, Leppard, Motorhead all influenced thrash scene that emerged a few years later
- Worst musical moments: Wuss rock like Christopher Cross and Air Supply thrived
- Brian: Blues Brothers movie came out
- Put spotlight on music that was considered unhip at the time
- Early hip-hop in the mainstream: Kurtis Blow, Blondie's "Rapture," Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight"
- The Clash were incredibly prolific: London Calling and Sandinista! both came out within less than a year
- The crumminess of Cut the Crap
- Worst musical moment: John Lennon was killed
- Other deaths included John Bonham, Bon Scott, Ian Curtis, Darby Crash
- Death of the Beatles: John killed, Paul was busted, George's album was held up, Ringo was wasted
- Led Zeppelin also broke up in 1980
- Trading hockey cards for a Rush album is uniquely Canadian
- Soundtrack of Decline of Western Civilization came out in late '80
- To be continued
Calories - DMT
Shearwater - A Wake for the Minotaur
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The Calories song is on the album Calories III. Download the song for free at Bandcamp.
The Shearwater song is on the album Fellow Travelers on Sub Pop. Download the song for free at The Current.
The Mark Kozelek song is on the compilation album You Be My Heart benefiting 826 National. Download the song for free at GLGPub.com.