Tue, 27 August 2013
Part 2 of my conversation with guest Matt Phillion as we discuss our society's obsession with the apocalypse. I've also got the Bonehead of the Week and music from Marnie Stern, The Superman Revenge Squad Band, Radstewart and Thee Oh Sees.
- Recorded at Chez Phillion
- Neil Gaiman's American Gods may someday become an HBO series
- Seven stories keep getting retold
- When authors can't finish their series
- John Irving writes last line of a novel first
- Writing novels vs. screenplays
- Barrier to entry in moviemaking was cost of film, with books was publishing
- Now you can self-publish online
- Matt's film Certainly Never was screened at Massachusetts Independent Film Festival
- The satisfaction of slamming down a phone is gone
- Fun at the Boston "Nerd Prom," aka ComiCon
- Nerds rule the world
- Why does The Hobbit require a movie trilogy?
- When reality and satire are easily confused
- Outrage-powered culture
- Viagra has created an army of horny geezers
- Hopefully we won't have to deal with the End Times
- Bonehead of the Week
The Superman Revenge Squad Band - A Funny Thing You Said
Radstewart - Beer Swindlers
Thee Oh Sees - Castiatic Tackle
The Marnie Stern song is part of the Adult Swim Singles Program 2013. Download the song for free at Adult Swim.
The Superman Revenge Squad Band song is a single released on Audio Antihero. Download the song for free at Bandcamp.
The Radstewart song is the EP Whig Crooks and Beer Swindlers on Alcopop. Download the song for free at Soundcloud.
The Thee Oh Sees song is on the album Warm Slime on In the Red Records. Download the song for free at Epitonic.
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blog Clicky Clicky. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian.