Tue, 28 May 2013
Part 2 of my conversation with guest Jay Breitling as we discuss some of our favorite compilation albums. I've also got the Bonehead of the Week and music from Speedy Ortiz, Thee Oh Sees, Mikal Cronin and The Melvins.
- Recorded at Clicky Clicky world HQ
- Check out JB's new comp, And I Forgot a Long Time Ago How You Feel
- Covers of early period Lilys songs
- JK: Three basic types of comps, not including soundtracks
- Tribute, genre and benefit comps
- No Alternative came out in '93
- We learn more about Lance Diamond
- During the Goo Goo Dolls' last days of non-suckage
- Part of Red Hot series
- JB: Red Hot and Bothered was the indie rock version
- JK: Deadicated was a Grateful Dead tribute featuring the likes of Jane's Addiction, Elvis Costello, Lyle Lovett
- Taping songs off the radio
- JK: The Bridge was a great Neil Young tribute featuring alt-rock artists like Pixies and Sonic Youth
- Lots of tribute comps came out in early '90s
- Now there are string quartet and bluegrass tributes to just about everyone
- Label comps are fun, like What's Up Matador?
- Safe and Sound comp featured Boston bands from mid-'90s
- JB: Simple Machines comp featured great DC acts
- JK: Twisted Willie paid tribute to Willie Nelson
- JB: Darla 100 may have been too long
- JB: Ten Cent Fix was a good one
- JB: Why Do You Think They Call It Pop? was collected by Pop Narcotic
- First SPINart release was One Last Kiss, featuring Swirlies, Small Factory, Velocity Girl
- JB: This is Harrisburg, Not Topeka featured the mighty Torgo, with one Jay Breitling on guitar
- A takeoff of the great This is Boston, Not LA
- Get Jay's comp at Clicky Clicky
- Bonehead of the Week
Thee Oh Sees - Devil Again
Mikal Cronin - Better Man
The Melvins - Dr. Mule
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The song from Speedy Ortiz is available on the compilation And I Forgot a Long Time Ago How You Feel. Download the comp exclusively at ClickyClickyMusic.
The songs from Thee Oh Sees and Mikal Cronin are on the compilation Garage Swim. Download the entire compilation for free at AdultSwim.com.
The Melvins song is on the Scion 10 Series Music Release. Download the song for free at Soundcloud.
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blog Clicky Clicky. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian.