Fri, 4 August 2017
This week, Brian Salvatore and I discuss more musical blindspots. Brian will learn about Iron Maiden while I dig into Frank Zappa.
- Jay: Somewhat familiar with Zappa's hits and guitar work
- Intimidating catalog; more than 100 albums released
- Brian: Knew a few Maiden songs but never a fan
- Listened to 1980 self-titled debut
- Liked the faster songs and Paul Di'Anno's vocals
- Enjoyed punk-inspired energy and Steve Harris' bass
- Production sounds good
- Maiden's sound has evolved over the years
- Jay listened to Zappa's 1969 album Hot Rats
- Only one song with vocals, and those are by Captain Beefheart
- Ian Underwood is major contributor, playing all keyboards and horns
- Very different sound than Zappa had in mid- to late- '70s
- Next up: Apostrophe for Jay, The Number of the Beast for Brian
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian.