Tue, 27 January 2015
Part 1 of my conversation with guest Matt Phillion as we discuss friendship in the digital age. I've also got music from Stag, Cult of Youth and Young Adults.
- Check out Matt's new book, The Indestructibles: Breakout
- How friendship has changed over the years
- Rarely have long conversations with people anymore
- Jay: Have closer relationships with podcast guests than anyone else
- Matt: Internet has helped save friendships
- Letter writing is a lost art
- Email replaced letters for a while
- Fewer phone calls with friends
- Jay: Still stay in touch with certain groups of friends
- Seems like people at work go out less anymore
- Friends you've never met
- Making friends on the Interwebs
- Matt meets people through book publishing world
- Reconnecting with people from childhood can be awkward
- Losing touch with friends who aren't on social media
- Friends from different interests, jobs
- To be continued
Stag - She Plus Me
Cult of Youth - God's Garden
Young Adults - Void
Completely Conspicuous is available through the iTunes podcast directory. Subscribe and write a review!
The Stag song is on the EP Temporary Machines on Pop Maelstrom. Download the song for free at KEXP.
The Cult of Youth song is on the album Final Days on Sacred Bones Records. Download the song for free at KEXP.
The Young Adults song is available for free download at Bandcamp.
The opening and closing theme of Completely Conspicuous is "Theme to Big F'in Pants" by Jay Breitling. Find out more about Senor Breitling at his fine music blog Clicky Clicky. Voiceover work is courtesy of James Gralian.